Thursday 21 February 2013

Review: Dark Chocolate Brownies by Ok Foods

In my real life (as opposed to the blissful world of blogging!), I am a Maths teacher in a secondary school. On various occasions (birthdays, good days, bad days, days when we just want to), biscuits, cakes and other sweet treats are bought in by a kind soul for the rest of us to enjoy at break time. Since becoming lactose free, I'm a lot more limited in what I can eat, and so sometimes don't get to partake in the eating. It's not a problem, and I always have enough food to feed an army with me in any case. However, I have some lovely colleagues who, on occasion, try and find something I can eat to bring along. This often takes the form of ginger nut biscuits, as they contain no dairy and are a safe option - I eat many ginger nuts on a near daily basis now! But the other day, one of my great fellow Maths teachers bought in Dark Chocolate brownies, by Ok foods. These are stocked in Co-op (and somerfield, according to their website). I must confess I've never tried the free from food in co-op, and as the brownies were also wheat and gluten free, I must admit I was a little unsure of how good they would taste (many a bad experience with nice looking, bad tasting free-from-everything food!), and the addition by a not-so-kind colleague of "taste free" on the packaging didn't quell my fears!

But, these were good!! They contain no dairy at all (or wheat, or gluten, as I said). The chocolate in them is dark chocolate, and there is also some sort of nut added. The texture is very very slightly different to a "regular" brownie, but only when you are trying to spot the difference. The nut taste is quite strong (presumably to try and replace the not-normal-flour twang you sometimes get?), but there is a good hit of chocolate and overall a really good brownie.

Now, I can't vouch for the value for money, as I didn't buy them (and can't find individual products on the co-op website), but if you're completely dairy free (or wheat/gluten) I think they're worth a try! You can find out about the company here: http://www.ok-foods.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment