Saturday 5 January 2013

Christmas Complaints

Christmas is definitely my favourite time of the year! It has just been my 2nd Christmas as a LFL, and this year I decided to consider how being LF has differed my eating habits at the festive time of year.

Generally Christmas doesn't prove too much of a problem and there are plenty of options I can eat, but there are 2 particular things I found this year that could easily be rectified if companies were a little more allergy/intolerance friendly! 

1. Christmas in our household means lots of different cheeses and a variety box of cheese crackers - it's the only time of year we have it! So imagine my disappointment when I looked on the Jacobs cheese cracker box and found they only listed the ingredients for all the biscuits collectively. Non allergy suffering people may not understand the issue - as one of the biscuits contained milk, it was listed in the ingredients and as such I couldn't have any of them! 

I did find a solution for this particular problem. By using the tesco online shopping app, I searched for each type of biscuit individually and found their ingredient list, was able to identify the good and bad biscuits and enjoy most of the box. Would it be too much for this to be listed on the box however? I think not! 

2.  The box of chocolates - quality street, celebrations, roses, M&S selections, Thornton's - the list is endless! Similar problem - there are some chocolates that are dark chocolates (and therefore, for me, OK), but because the ingredients are only listed for the whole box, I cannot tell if the filling of any of these chocolates contains milk or milk derivatives. Take the lovely strawberry creme encased in dark chocolate. There is a chance (albeit small), that the filling is made of non-dairy products and therefore I could enjoy them, but because the individual sweet ingredients are not listed (nor found anywhere online, according to my searches), I cannot definitively tell if I can eat them. Cue longing looks in the direction of the wonderful strawberry creams... 

LFL
 

No comments:

Post a Comment